The Friday Form - September 9

Diposkan oleh Pengetahuan dan Pengalaman on Friday, September 9, 2011

The words "Irene" and "Lee" have turned into bad words around here. The flooding in the East from these two storms has taken lives or left lives shattered. Yesterday, I wondered at times if we would need an ark. It rained so hard all day that all streams in the area flooded their banks. Last night, authorities took the unprecedented step of closing the Beltway, a major interstate highway that circles DC. Many local roads were closed. Shopping centers, car lots, apartments, and homes were underwater. There were too many impacts to list here. This morning, there are folks in Alexandria evacuated from their homes. It will be days, I'm sure, before all the damage will be tallied. That's just in the DC area, where it's still raining! The hardships in other areas are worse. I hope those in the Northeast who lost so much to Irene won't suffer even more from the remnants of Lee. Mother Nature is ending summer with a bang.

I ended up skipping most of the Fashion's Night Out activities in the DC area. I had been looking forward to the events, but the driving rain, thunder, and lightning told me to stay home and stay safe, and that's what I did. I was really looking forward to the bash at Neiman Marcus Mazza Gallerie. I'm bummed. I missed Saks Chevy Chase, and I missed Georgetown. When I went to bed, the driving rain has stopped, but the electrical storm continued. I guess I've turned into a wimp. I didn't want to get trapped somewhere.

This has been a sad week, with so many recollections of September 11 on the news and in the papers. I will be writing my own thoughts in a tribute for Sunday. I'm moved to tears when I rethink that day and the suffering that followed. I now fully understand how my parent's generation never forgot Pearl Harbor - and why they talked about it often. An attack on the United States isn't something one forgets.

I realize these first three paragraphs were a downer, but that's what's been on my mind. On the upside, I have another makeover scheduled for today with a Laura Mercier artist. I haven't "done" a Laura Mercier event for a long time, so I'm looking forward to it. I'm still awestruck over the session I had with Erin Lockard from Le Métier de Beauté Wednesday. She's fantastic. I know some of you were able to get there too. If you didn't, and you live in the area, she will be at Neiman Marcus Mazza Galleria today and tomorrow. Call Michael at the counter for an appointment at (202) 966-9700.

There are many more fun events to come in September - all over the country. Live in the DC area and love Jo Malone? David Ponce, Jo Malone's national trainer, will be teaching a master class at Neiman Marcus Tysons Galleria Saturday at 11:00 am. If you live near me in the DC area, plan to go. I know you'll go home with a goodie bag. Just call (703) 761-1600, extension 3268, and ask for Diana, David, or Kathy to make an appointment. I'd love to meet you there. Pretty soon, they'll have to give me a desk at the store (just kidding).

Over the next few weeks (yes, it will take me that long), I'll be showing you all my latest beauty purchases. I've barely scratched the surface! Between camera crises and rain this week, there wasn't much of an opportunity to get swatch photos. I hope to remedy that this weekend. Even today will be busy, although I hope to get a new feature published before my feed goes out this afternoon. Suffice it to say that I'm very excited about all my new goodies. I've got special Kaleidoscopes coming from around the country, so my excitement will extend into next week.

It's time for The Friday Forum, our open chat. What new products did you discover this week? Did you find any deals you couldn't resist this week? Are you using a fabulous product and want to sing its praises? Did you find a beauty product disappointing? Do you have a question others might be able to answer? Want to talk about skin care? What's new in your life? Just use the comments. Don't be shy. Just make sure to ask any question you might have over the weekend. By early the next week, most (not all) readers have moved on. I want to hear all your FNO and Beauty Week stories!

Don't forget the current giveaway contest for a Laura Mercier Mini Glacé Set. She makes a nice lip gloss! The deadline for entries is tomorrow, Saturday, September 10, at midnight. Naturally, we'll start another exciting contest on Sunday. I love giving away cool stuff!

I do put a lot of late-breaking news on Twitter, so if you're not there, I'd love to see you. It's easy to sign up. I'll bet if you try it, you'll love it.

Photos by Best Things in Beauty