R.I.P. Knut

Diposkan oleh Pengetahuan dan Pengalaman on Saturday, March 19, 2011

"Baby" Knut died today in his home at a Berlin zoo. No one knows why.

This news hit me hard. The world-famous, adorable polar bear made headlines when he was hand-raised by zoo keepers after being rejected by his mother at birth in December 2006. Bear keeper Heiner Kloes told the Associated Press that Knut "was by himself in his compound, he was in the water, and then he was dead." Kloes added, "He was not sick, we don't know why he died." A post-mortem will be conducted on Monday to try pinpoint his cause of death.

I am extremely sad. This one hit me hard, not only because the little guy captured my heart, but also because the world's love for Knut forced people to think about polar bears and understand the impacts of global warming.

I know that we will see him in heaven. Until then, sweet Knut, we loved you.

Photo courtesy of the Associated Press