The Friday Forum - March 25

Diposkan oleh Pengetahuan dan Pengalaman on Friday, March 25, 2011

Remember that first star magnolia flower I showed you last week? The next day, the tree burst into full bloom, with its frousy white flowers and heavenly fragrance. I have enjoyed it for a week, but I fear that we had a freeze last night. That will leave the beautiful blossoms hanging like wet Kleenex on the tree by late afternoon when I get home from work. It happens almost every year, but never fails to depress me. It wasn't the best tree choice, but I made it in 1982. I would never cut it down and start over. In most years, it has only a few glorious days before the variable spring weather frosts it.

This week has flown by! I was saddened last weekend by Knut's passing; and Elizabeth Taylor's death, while not entirely surprising, left us mourning a legend. I meant it when I tweeted that her loss ended an era. She had it all, and she shared it. I think her greatest legacy will be her humanity.

My mention of Sephora frustrations yesterday touched a nerve! While I continue to buy like crazy, I am not the Sephora groupie I used to be. I don't understand why the company doesn't try harder to be the company it used to be. In some cases, Sephora is the only game in town, but we can purchase much of Sephora's makeup elsewhere. When I have a choice, I now try to buy elsewhere. It didn't used to be that way. I also feel that Sephora doesn't care about my age group. The sample and point rewards are often geared to very young women. Perhaps the company's demographic data prove their average customer is 20 years old. I'm not sure why they don't try harder to please all of us - from 15 to 70. Shipping is much slower than it used to be; I miss the black pouches; I hate receiving stinky perfume samples I didn't select; and the padded envelope I received recently sent me over the edge. I think it will take a serious competitor to shake Sephora out of its complacency. The old management consultant in me would love to give Sephora some advice! How do you feel about the company?

Speaking of Sephora, I received some fabulous new products this week, and I can't wait to tell you about them. One is a concealer by Temptu. I have read so many good reviews, I finally ordered one. I guessed correctly on the perfect color for me, and the coverage, texture, and blendability are top-notch. I will try to write up a feature when I get home from work.

What's new in your life? It's time for The Friday Forum. We use the forum to share information and chat. Did you find any deals you couldn't resist this week? Are you using a fabulous product and want to sing its praises? Did you find a beauty product disappointing? Do you have a question others might be able to answer? Want to talk about skin care? Just use the comments. Don't be shy. Just make sure to ask any question you might have over the weekend. By Monday, most readers have moved on.

We have a great giveaway contest going. I can't figure out why there haven't been a ton of entries. There will be four prizes - all from the new bareMinerals Skincare collection, which has a two-page ad in the new InStyle. You can still enter at this link. The contest ends tomorrow night (March 26) at midnight.