Guerlain Terracotta Collection for 2011 - Poudre Bronzante Hydratante Haute Tenue

Diposkan oleh Pengetahuan dan Pengalaman on Monday, March 14, 2011

Guerlain outdid themselves with this year's Terracotta Collection. Even if you own pieces from prior collections, you will want to carefully consider some of the new ones.

The cult powder for a natural, matte complexion that is simply unique.

Since its creation in 1984, Terracotta Moisturizing and Long-Lasting Bronzing Powder has become a legendary product and the secret weapon of women who looked kissed by sunlight. Its unique texture has always been Guerlain's not-so-well-kept secret. It leaves no lines or streaks - only a natural, radiant, luminous bronze glow. Its formula is enriched with moisturizing ingredients that hydrate the skin and ensure long-lasting radiance. Its lightness, ease of application, and bewitching and instantly recognizable light scent have made it a cult product.

The second I saw the collection for 2011, I knew I had to have one of the new bronzing powder shades (and I would like to have a second, but that's crazy). I also purchased the new Terracotta Spray, which makes me glow and smell divine at the same time. I'll tell you about it in a second feature this week. I'm waiting for a beautiful blusher to arrive at the store.

There are eight new shades of Poudre Bronzante Hydratante Haute Tenue ($49), the hydrating bronzing powder, on display at Neiman Marcus. I purchased #00, which Guerlain lists as perfect for fair blonds (the bronzer is pictured here in a darker shade).

Terracotta powder creates a natural looking bronze for all skin tones.
  • For blonds, there are three pink-toned shades: 00, 02, and 04, each progressively darker with the number increase.
  • For brunettes, there are four golden-toned shades: 01, 03, and 07, also progressively darker.
  • For ethnic skin, there is one copper-toned shade: 08, Ebony.
Bronzers aren't just for looking tan. They should be used to sculpt your face. Applied properly, they should be a part of your everyday makeup routine. While I'll admit to skipping bronzers often, I know they make my cheekbones pop when used with a light hand.

How will you decide what's the best shade? You can see little swatches of the shades at this French Sephora site. Neiman Marcus sent me a card to help me determine the best shade for my hair color and skin tone, but it had a bounce-back offer on it, and I left it with the store to get the complimentary lip gloss sample. You can see the card at Café Makeup, where the beautiful Amy shared it.

I applied shade 00 to my arm ridiculously heavily to get a swatch photo for you. I used a sponge-tipped applicator, something one would never do in "real life." I took the photo in full sun. This bronzer should be applied with a fluffy blush or powder blush. I wanted to show you the color, but you should know that what looks a little muddy on my arm is gorgeous when applied with a brush on my cheeks and the high points of my face. Today was definitely not a "let's model bronzer day," so you'll have to use your imagination!

There is a hint of sparkle in the bronzer, but not enough that it qualifies as shimmering. The overall effect is matte. Instead, the tiny amount of sparkle makes it glow, and the effect on the complexion is stunning.

You can find Guerlain's new Terracotta Collection for 2011 at Neiman Marcus and Nordstrom. I'm sure other sources, such as Bloomingdale's, must have it too, but I can vouch for Neiman Marcus and Nordies.

Photos at top courtesy of Guerlain and Neiman Marcus