KIWI RIDER GIVES AUSTRALIANS A FRIGHT

Diposkan oleh Pengetahuan dan Pengalaman on Wednesday, October 6, 2010

With a headline like that we just *have* to run this Press release from Suzuki

It was so close to glory for New Zealand’s Dion Picard that he could actually taste it.
In the end, though, the 15-year-old Suzuki star from Atiamuri, in the Central North Island, had to settle for runner-up honours at this year’s Australian Junior Motocross Championships at Lake Macquarie.

Picard took his Suzuki RM-Z250 to second overall, behind Australian international Hayden Mellross, in the 13-15 years’ 250cc four-stroke class, although he actually came agonisingly close to winning it outright.

After two of the three races scheduled for this class, Picard led the standings by one point over Mellross.
However, Picard finished a disappointing fourth in his final outing – giving him a 3-1-4 scoreline for the championship -- while Mellross scored 2-2-1 and the Kiwi therefore missed out on the podium top spot by just six points.
“Yes, I was one point ahead of Mellross heading into that last race but I got a shocking start,” explained Picard.
“I got hit by another rider on the start line as we came out of the gate and I had to fight my way through the field. I ended up fourth but I really needed to beat Mellross in that race and he won it instead.

It was a very busy week for Picard, who also raced a modified Suzuki RM125 (bored out to 144cc) to finish fourth overall in the 13-15 years’ 100-150cc class. Queensland’s Scott Mann won this division.
“I think I got plenty of respect from the Australian,” laughed Picard. “A few have even asked me to come back and race. I am hoping that I can get a good team ride over there for next season.”

Picard’s next outing will be to race at the Taupo Motocross Extravaganza over Labour Weekend.